August 16, 2007

Night Before School

Posted in Uncategorized at 12:00 am by dgcombs

Yes… it was the night before the first day of school.
Tyler was a little anxious. Well, he was very anxious. He went to bed early at around 9:30. It was hard to get him to bed. And sleep didn’t come easily. He was uncharacteristically up and down for about an hour finally falling asleep around ten thirty.

I went to bed around 11pm. A little too late for getting up at 5:30 instead of 7 the next morning. Yes, I’ve been a lazy bum sleeping in because I didn’t have to be in the office until 9.

Around 12:30am I woke with a start hearing the stomp, stomp, stomp of Tyler’s feet. I ran up the stairs. He was having a nightmare. Linda and I spent twenty minutes trying to simultaneously wake and calm him. Eventually, he woke up enough to realize he wanted to go back to sleep.

I went back to bed too. I lay down and watched the little LED flash on my clock. 12:45. 12:50. 1:00. I decided to quit looking. 1:15.

Around 5:05am, my door opened and Tyler stood there. “”Grampa, is it time to get up?”” “”No, honey,”” I replied. He misread his clock and couldn’t quite understand what time it was. I asked him to lie down and sleep a little longer. My alarm went off at 5:40am. Oh, well 30 minutes is 30 minutes.

We got up. I took a shower while Tyler laid out his clothes. He took a shower while I got dressed. We met in the kitchen and found a note on the table from Grandma. It said she couldn’t sleep and she wouldn’t be getting up. She wrote down the time, 3am.

Katie had planned to take Tyler in on his first day. Her boss called a meeting with the District Manager that morning. Katie was very disappointed. I got Tyler off to school OK. We put all his new school supplies in a couple of Walmart bags. I gave him two dollars for lunch… it was just (yawn) easier.

When Katie got home from work that evening, she asked Tyler if he was the one getting up every half hour through the night keeping her awake. “”No,”” we said together, “”that would be grandma!””

I guess we were all a little anxious. It’s now Thursday and I have almost caught up on my rest. I can’t wait until Saturday. I’m going to sack in until, oh, I don’t know… eight!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: